Skip to main content

St Francis Lutheran Church, Mauriceville West


St Francis Lutheran Church stands on a rise above Mauriceville West Road and dates from 1957. The church is immaculate, and looks well cared for and much loved. It sits among historic graves and overlooks the gently rolling hills of Mauriceville West.










The picture that hangs above the altar is a print of a painting by Carl Bloch of Christ with his hand on the head of a small boy.


The simple, clean lines of the church interior.

Labour and equipment for the repainting of the church was donated by congregational members, their families and a member of the local Wairarapa Scandinavian Club.  Financial assistance toward materials was also received from the Scandinavian Club and the local Mauriceville Kopuaranga Fair Committee.







History

During the1870s large numbers of Scandinavians from Denmark, Norway and Sweden emigrated to the northern Wairarapa as part of a Government scheme to clear the forty-mile bush. Many of the Danish families settled at Mauriceville West. Despite considerable hardship and poverty they began building the original church at Mauriceville West in 1882 and it was dedicated by Danish-born Pastor Jørgen Johansen Sass on 24 August 1884.

 An early photo of the church, taken in the 1890s. 2011N_Mv36b_005730
The interior of the original church, taken in the 1950s (Bennett Iorns)
02-94/29


The exterior of the original church, taken from the graveyard. (Bennett Iorns, 1950s) 02-94/28

The original church was of a typical Danish country church design, reminiscent of the large stepped towers of Danish country churches, designed to provide a place of refuge for the community in case of hostile invasion.



The Cyclopedia of New Zealand, 1897, noted
Mauriceville Lutheran Church is a handsome wooden building standing on an eminence in Mauriceville West. Accommodation is provided for about 200 worshippers. Services are held weekly. The Rev. Mads Christensen is the minister in charge.
Unfortunately the original church deteriorated and was demolished and the present church built in 1957, using voluntary labour and donated materials. The altar rails, the picture of Christ from above the altar and sacred vessels from the old church were incorporated in the new church.


Deconsecration

Sadly, with a reduction in congregation numbers, the church was deconsecrated following a service on 24 March 2019, with a view to relocating the building for other purposes. The Wairarapa Times-Age gives a full report here.


Worship

St Francis congregation now worships in St Andrews Union Church, 63 Main St, Greytown, in cooperation with the St Andrew's congregation.

A Lutheran service is held on the 3rd Sunday of the month at 3.00pm. Regular services are no longer held in the Mauriceville West church. To confirm arrangements phone 06 3049088.


Contact

Pastor
Jim Pietsch
Phone: (04) 385 7087
Email: jim.pietsch@lutheran.org.nz

St Francis Lutheran Church is in Mauriceville West Road, Mauriceville, 20 km north of Masterton (map).



Sources:
Steen Olsen, Danish Lutherans in New Zealand, 1866-1958
Wairarapa Archives
Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services
Cyclopedia of New Zealand, 1897
George Conrad Peterson, Forest Homes: Scandinavian settlements in New Zealand
St Francis Lutheran Church, Mauriceville West
Wairarapa Times-Age, 7 February 2019 - End of era for historic church


The Scandinavian Trail Newsletter contains further useful information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

St Francis of Assisi, Bideford

St Francis, from the eastern side of the churchyard The Church of St Francis of Assisi sits on a terrace, high above the Tauweru River. It was built in 1875, on land donated in 1878 to the Church of England by David Carman, a former owner of parts of Bowlands. It has a Category II heritage listing, register number 1285 .

Norwegian Methodist Church, Mauriceville North

The Norwegian Methodist Church sits on a hill above North Road, in Mauriceville North .  It has a Category 1 Heritage New Zealand listing: Number 204 .

All Saints Church, Wairongomai

All Saints Anglican Church, Wairongomai, is framed from the road by an avenue of karaka trees and continuous low hedging, leading the eye to the beautiful church.  It is one of the most elegantly landscaped rural churches in the Wairarapa and is listed on the Wairarapa District Plan (HS159)