Skip to main content

St Andrew's, Martinborough


The Anglican Church of St Andrew, in Dublin Street, Martinborough, was built in 1883 by William Benton and designed by Frederick de Jersey Clere. It has a Category II heritage listing, number 1313.



The church is typical of Clere's country designs - economical and simple wooden structures with pointed arches and interesting roof trusses and belfries.






Buttresses were added to the church after a gale in 1925 shifted the church off its foundations, with parishioners inside at a service.


St Andrew's from the church's 'east end', looking towards Dublin Street.



St Andrew's was named at the suggestion of John and Henrietta Martin, who were important benefactors of the church.

John Martin, 1822-1892

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand, 1897 says -
[The] Church of England, Martinborough, is a wooden building that was considerably enlarged in the beginning of 1896, and is now one of the finest little wooden churches in the district. Services are held every Sunday by the Rev. A. V. Grace, assisted by lay readers. There is a good choir under the leadership of Mr. Lee.


The church has stained glass windows (not shown) which were installed in 1950 as a memorial to the dead of the two World Wars.


Today
St Andrew's is part of the Anglican Parish of South Wairarapa, and is located in Dublin Street, Martinborough (map).

Archdeacon May Croft is the Vicar.

Contact: phone 06 3069-451 (office) or email SWAnglican.Parish@xtra.co.nz

Further information is available on the Parish website




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maunga Moria, Homewood

The Church of the Seven Rules of Jehovah sits on a little hill beside the Homewood Road. at Okautete, Homewood.

St Francis of Assisi, Bideford

The Church of St Francis of Assisi sits on a terrace, high above the Tauweru River. It was built in 1875, on land donated in 1878 to the Church of England by David Carman, a former owner of parts of Bowlands. It has a Category II heritage listing, register number 1285.

Norwegian Methodist Church, Mauriceville North

The Norwegian Methodist Church sits on a hill above North Road, in Mauriceville North .  It has a Category 1 Heritage New Zealand listing: Number 204.