Skip to main content

St John the Evangelist, Homewood



View of St John's from the east.

The little Anglican church of St John the Evangelist sits on a rise above Homewood Road (map).



The church from the north, showing the sheltered porch

Built in 1961, and designed to be low maintenance, the church is made of steel reinforced concrete blocks, with Kaiwhata stone on the entrance walls. The porch links the entrance lobby and the vestry.


Despite its somewhat boxy exterior, the inside is light and airy, with the gold in the altar frontal marrying beautifully with the pale turquoise carpet and the rimu pews and woodwork.

The light, clean lines of the church interior

View of the left-hand side of the church, showing the pulpit.
View of the church from the right-hand side, showing the interesting wing-shaped lectern.
Elegant detailing on the rimu pulpit



Ecclesiastical embroidery by April Bamford is a feature of the church.

Green pulpit fall

Altar frontal


White pulpit fall

Lectern bookmarks, for the different liturgical colours of the church's year
Detail of the centre of the altar frontal

The slightly dated, but endearing church sign.



History
For some years the parish of Tinui used the Church of the Seven Rules of Jehovah, also on Homewood Road, at Okautete, for their services. The church was in a poor state of repair (it has since been restored) so a new church, which would also serve as a focus for the community, was planned.

The Homewood Estate gifted the site - section 772 Block 4 of the Kaiwhata Survey District - and generous donations allowed the building to proceed.

The foundation stone was laid on 26 November 1960, by the Rt. Rev. W N Panapa, Bishop of Aotearoa, assisted by the Vicar of Tinui, the Rev. Ted Dashfield, and the Maori Pastor for the Wairarapa, the Rev. G P Cook.


Church under construction - 01-25/113
The new church was designed by Masterton architect, Neil Inkster on a prominent site above the Homewood Road, facing the sea.

Church under construction - 01-25/114



The church was dedicated on Saturday, 16 September 1961 by the Bishop of Wellington, the Rt. Rev. H. W. Baines.

Once the church was dedicated, work continued to provide furnishings for the church and pay off the loan made by the Diocesan Home Mission Fund. Finally debt-free, the church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev Edward Norman on 4 June 1978.



Parish
The Church of St John the Evangelist is part of the Anglican Parish of Tinui.  




Sources:
Historical photos: Wairarapa Archive
Parish of Tinui - The Church of the Good Shepherd - 1902 - 2002, Pauline Stilborn, 2001

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maunga Moria, Homewood

The Church of the Seven Rules of Jehovah sits on a little hill beside the Homewood Road. at Okautete, Homewood.

Norwegian Methodist Church, Mauriceville North

The Norwegian Methodist Church sits on a hill above North Road, in Mauriceville North .  It has a Category 1 Heritage New Zealand listing: Number 204.


St Francis of Assisi, Bideford

The Church of St Francis of Assisi sits on a terrace, high above the Tauweru River. It was built in 1875, on land donated in 1878 to the Church of England by David Carman, a former owner of parts of Bowlands. It has a Category II heritage listing, register number 1285.